Friday, December 11, 2009

Dinner at Westville on a cold winter's night

On Pat's advice, I decided to check out Westville with Katya. She described it as a more rustic Ottolenghi so I had to check it out for myself. For those who aren't familiar with it, Ottolenghi is one of the best cafes in London. Everything they serve is so fresh, delicious, and beautifully presented, usually bursting with colour. I could eat it everyday...and I almost did the last time I was in London!



Now I don't know if I would put Westville on par with Ottolengthi, not because there's anything wrong with it but because the bar is REALLY HIGH, but I have to say that I really enjoyed my meal. The ambiance is warm and cozy. Think brick walls, dim lighting, and small tables close to one another. The service is fantastic - our waiter was super friendly, funny, and rather flamboyant (that's a euphemism). Prices are very reasonable. I would describe the food as really good, fresh, and simple home cooking. The perfect neighbourhood restaurant (if only I lived in the West Village)!



For our first course, we had crabcakes with a side of salad. These were delicious!



For our main course we had almond crusted trout over a bed of salad with red onions, avocado, and sliced green apples. We both thought this dish was just okay. Too many bones and I think I even had a scale!



We also shared a platter of market veggies that was really really good. We had sauteed kale, mashed sweet potatoes, roasted zucchini with roasted cherry tomatoes and mozarella, and sauteed mixed mushrooms with leeks and herbs. So simple yet so delicious!




To end the meal we had a yummy homemade apple pie with vanilla ice cream. Crust was really good. Perfect end to the meal!



This is how cold it was in NYC this evening....-8 degrees Celsius!! We looked like Russians (Katya, the real Russian) and Siberians (me) in our fur lined hoods!

No comments: